In just a week from now, the first Man Up and Go team leaves US soil bound for Africa. This will be the 12th trip since a bunch of rag-tag guys back in 2011 decided to make a difference in the world. They grabbed a bunch of like-minded folks, raised support for their trip, and traipsed off to Ethiopia and Uganda to LOVE BIG on orphans and widows there. It’s been nothing short of amazing to see what God has done since then.
There was never any plan to do anything other than just that one trip. And yet nearly five years later, Man Up and Go is an official 501(c)3 with a vision to serve and significantly reduce the number of orphans in the world. What began as an undeniable urge to just do something bigger than oneself has now yielded fruit 240 times over.
240 others have taken that step to answer God’s call on a Man Up and Go missions trip to Africa. 14 more begin their own journey next Monday, and we are fully confident God will honor their obedience to leave family and friends, comfort and ease, all in search of a bigger meaning, a greater purpose, and a deeper longing for significance that only God can give. No, they’re not traveling 7000 miles to be saviors or to tell the Ugandan people how to become American. It’s not our job to change cultures. It is, however, our job to GO. (Hello, James 1:27.) If something needs to be changed, whether it be in a developing nation or in a heart that God wants to develop, we want Him to do it, bereft of any human agenda. The only agenda we want is His.
Will you join us in praying for these 14 missionaries? They will have an opportunity to be the physical presence of God that many of these children have never known. They will encourage single mothers and widows who are learning how to survive and provide on sometimes as little as $1.25/day. They will help gather men together and act as iron sharpening iron at different Man Up Men’s Conferences.
- Pray that they would allow God to empty them entirely, and that the Holy Spirit of Christ would fill them to the fullest, that they might be poured out wine upon the people of Uganda.
- Pray for physical wellness and strength, as the body often goes through shock from sleep deprivation, different foods, and emotional distress.
- Pray for safety, both en route and in country.
- Pray for those who will interact with our team, that friendships would develop and hearts would be softened because of our presence there.
- Pray that the enemy would have no place in the team’s presence, and that any tempt to thwart our efforts to advance the Kingdom would themselves be thwarted.
- Pray for our pastors and partners on the ground, that transportation, lodging, and any other logistics would fall into place smoothly and without hiccup.
- Pray for our trip leaders, Mitch and Mark, for wisdom and leadership as they protect and shepherd the group.
- Finally pray whatever God leads you to pray.
We look forward to their return already, to hear the stories of how God moved in the team and among the people. But most of all, we want to see Jesus get all the credit, and that His name might be made a little more famous because of this trip.
Thank you for your prayers – it’s exciting to be a part of the Man Up and Go team these days!